We all saw the news during Minecon Live last year, and now they have finally released more information regarding the highly anticipated “Nether Update”!
AT A GLANCE, WHAT TO EXPECT
- New Biomes
- New Blocks
- New Ore type called ‘Ancient Debris’
FEATURES IN SNAPSHOT 20W06A
- Added new Nether blocks!
- Knockback resistance is now a scale instead of a probability
- Added Crimson Forest biome to the Nether
- Added Hoglins – they don’t do much yet, but they have cute flappy ears!
- Patrols no longer spawn when the player is close to any village
- Added Netherite!
- Added Soulsand Valley biome to the Nether
- Walls do not have gaps anymore when stacked vertically
- Added Warped Forest biome to the Nether
BLOCKS (the good stuff)
Many new block types have been added!
- Two new wood-like materials – Crimson Stems and Warped Stems
- Basalt blocks – you can find them as pillars but they can be placed in any direction
- New ground surface blocks: Crimson Nylium and Warped Nylium
- New vegetation: Nether Sprouts, Crimson Roots and Warped Roots
- Two types of Fungi: Crimson and Warped – try using bone meal to grow them!
- Warped Wart blocks
- Weeping Vines that grow from the bottom of a block downwards!
- A new natural light source: Shroomlights
- Added Soul Soil! Whenever fire burns on Soul Soil, it burns with a blue flame!
- Soul Soil can be used to craft Soul Torches – and those can be crafted into Soul Lanterns!
- Using bone meal on Netherrack can now spread Nylium
Shared by u/HenryFrenchFries on Reddit
Crimson Forests can now be found in the Nether!
- Crimson nylium carpets the cave floor with all kinds of strange new vegetation
- Huge Crimson Fungi make up the “trees” of this forest, with Shroomlights lighting up the forest floor
- Weeping Vines grow from the cave ceilings and fungi
- Hoglins wander these forests
- Crimson spores swirl through the air
NETHERITE (What are Diamonds?)
- A new high-level material found in the Nether. Use it to upgrade your diamond gear!
Want to learn how to make Netherrite? Say no more fam!
MAKING THE GIFT OF THE GODS
- Mine Ancient Debris in the lower depths of the Nether. At own risk. No insurance coverage for that
- Refine it into Netherite Scrap in a Furnace (although that’s kind of slow so you might want a Blast Furnace)
- Combine 4 Nether Scrap with 4 Gold Ingots in a crafting table to make a Netherite Ingot
But MCPH Writer, what are the Netherrite effects like? We got you.
- Netherite items float in lava so you don’t lose all your gear after that unplanned lava bath
- Netherite items have higher enchantment value than diamond (but not as high as gold)
- Netherite tools work faster and last longer than diamond
- Netherite weapons do more damage than diamond
- Netherite armor have higher toughness and durability than diamond
- Netherite armor gives you knockback resistance, so you barely get knocked back at all when hit by arrows and such
- …and it looks cool!
SOULSAND VALLEY (As if your soul wasn’t already at risk)
Soulsand Valleys can now be found in the Nether!
- An open space made mostly of Soul Sand and Soul Soil
- Basalt pillars span from floor to ceiling
- Fossil remains of unknown creatures from the past litter the valley
- Ash falls through the air
- A light blue glow envelopes the valley
- Beware of Skeletons here!
SOUNDS (Our therapist says Ghasts aren’t real and can’t hurt us)
- Ghasts sounds are now heard at a shorter range
- Updated block sounds for Bone Blocks, Netherrack, Soul Sand, Netherwart, Nether Bricks and Quartz Ore
WARPED FREAKIN FOREST
That’s right, Warped Forests can now be found in the glorious Nether!
- Warped nylium carpets the cave floor with all kinds of strange new vegetation
- Huge Warped Fungi make up the “trees” of this forest, with Shroomlights lighting up the forest floor
- A dark blue fog covers the forest
- Warped spores swirl through the air
- The Warped Forests are strange, but also the least hostile place of Nether
WORLD GENERATION (Wanna feel like Luffy from One Piece?)
- The old Nether biome is now called Nether Wastes
- Made shipwrecks and ocean ruins a bit less common, so you get more excited when you find one!
EPIC LIST OF TECHNICAL CHANGES IN 20W06A
- Added a locatebiome command (that’s literally all they changed)
Are you a nerd? THIS SECTION IS FOR YOU
COMMANDS – LOCATEBIOME
New command that locates a specified biome. Useful in creative mode when you’re
looking for a specific biome and don’t want to fly around randomly searching for it.
Syntax: locatebiome <biome>
- biome – The id of the biome to find
- New particle types: ash, crimson_spore, soul_fire_flame and warped_spore
- Nailed Entity shadows to the ground. 🔨
And there you have it folks, oh and if you want to see a full list of fixed bugs, feel free to take a look here.
So what do you guys think? Head on over to our Community Discord to discuss the latest snapshot and share your thoughts with us!