You’ve read about it last year, and now changes to combat are finally coming!
For the last few months the devs over at Minecraft have been hard at work rolling out changes to the combat system that can better combine the combat between JAVA and Bedrock Edition. In their recent snapshot regarding the changes they said that their goal for this is to ‘have a fun and flexible system for Player-vs-Environment, (PvE, monsters and such) that also happens to work well in Player-vs-Player (PvP) scenarios. ‘
And we’re all for it!
Since summer of last year they’ve been hinting at changes coming to the system so development has been slowly making its way into the game with each snapshot update they released since originally announcing the changes. While the new mechanic they have still aren’t ready, they have promised that it ‘will be introduced in an official update some time in the future for all editions of Minecraft.’
As you can see from the title of this article, this would mark the 5th version of the snapshot updates involving changes to combat. The updates are based upon the 1.15.2 pre-release, though still currently not compatible with other versions of MC.
Here’s what to expect
OVERVIEW OF CHANGES (COMPARED TO JAVA EDITION)
- Attack rates are generally faster
- You are only able to attack when the attack timer has recharged
- The attack timer only resets when attacking (compared to switching items)
- You can keep pressing the attack button to continuously attack
- Weapons deal less damage overall
- Weapons now have different reach (tridents and hoes reach farther, axes reach less)
- Natural healing from food has been rebalanced (no more saturation boost)
- Projectiles are more accurate and don’t inherit the shooter’s momentum
- Experimental enchantment called “Chopping” for axes
- Many other smaller changes to tridents, snowballs, shields, and knockback mechanics
They have also provided everyone with installation instructions for those that are less tech-savvy. You can find that here:
- Download this zip file
- Unpack the folder into your “versions” folder of your local Minecraft application data folder (see below if you are confused)
- Create a new launch configuration in the launcher and select the “pending 1_15_combat-6” version
- Start the game and the remaining files will be downloaded
- Play in a new world! This version is not compatible with other snapshots!
So what do you guys think? Head on over to our Community Discord to discuss the latest snapshot and share your thoughts with us!